Since I shared my Southwestern Shredded Chicken Salad with y’all recently I thought it would be fun to share my Tex-Mex Tortilla Soup! It rained Sunday evening which made this soup the best choice for dinner! 🙌🏼 I don’t know what it is about eating soup while it’s raining but it’s my favorite! 😍 I made this tortilla soup in the crock pot and allowed it to cook for about eight hours. However six hours would be plenty.
I put this on the crockpot around 9-10am and served it around 5-6pm! I personally love a hearty soup, when asked if I wanted more broth or more noodles the answer was always noodles. [Give me all the carbs!!!!] So I decided to switch up this soup by putting some noodles in it. I’m just convinced noodles make everything better; so if you would prefer for the soup to be a little more on the Mexican side then I would exclude the noodles. 🙂
- 2 chicken breast
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cup diced red potatoes
- 1 15.25 oz canned corn
- 1 15.25 oz canned black beans
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/2 bag soup noodles
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp coriander
- 1 tbsp fajita seasoning [I know this sounds crazy but it really adds flavor and is delicious. I use Fiesta Brand fajita seasoning and it is SO good! I also use it when making fajitas!]
- Garlic salt and pepper to taste
- Shredded cheddar cheese and tortilla strips for topping
- Place chicken breast in crock pot, pour in can of tomatoes as well as chicken broth. Add cumin, cayenne pepper, coriander, fajita seasoning, garlic salt and pepper.
- Cook for 2 hours on high.
- Add corn, black beans and cilantro. Cook on low for 2 more hours.
- Add noodles 30 minutes before serving and cook on low. Once noodles are done serve. Add with cheddar cheese and tortilla strips on top if desired.
I hope y’all enjoy this recipe! Tortilla soup is one of my favorites. I’ll be uploading my recipe for Burbon Pecan Pie tomorrow! Safe travels to everyone visiting friends and family over Thanksgiving.